CanSkate is Canada’s flagship learn-to-skate program, designed for beginners of all aged. When you sign up for CanSkate you will be in a program that focuses on fun, participation and basic skill development. You will earn badges and other incentives as you learn fundamental skating skills. Lessons are given in a group format and led by NCCP certified professional coach. Professional coaches are assisted by trained Program Assistants. The coach to student ratio is a maximum of 1:10. Skaters progress at their own rate and coaches make sessions active using teaching aids, music and a wide variety of activities that create a fun environment and promote learning. CanSkate is the feeder program to all Skate Canada Skating Programs. CanSkate is Canada’s only national learn-to skate program. It was developed by experts to teach the fundamentals of skating in a progressive and sequential manner.
CanSkate program objectives
- To provide participants and families with a safe, welcoming and inclusive first experience to the sport of skating
- To develop skating and motor skills through natural learning phases (introduction, acquisition, retention/mastery)
- To use skill progression and repetition throughout the stages to introduce physical literacy and establish quality basic skating skills
- To foster personal achievements and satisfaction through skill acquisition, reward and recognition
- To evoke an interest in life-long participation in skating
Program Structure and awards
The CanSkate program curriculum is organized into six progressive stages of learning. Each stage is broken down into three Fundamental Areas:
- Balance: Concentrating on forward skills, pushing technique, and edges.
- Control: Concentrating on backwards skills, stopping and speed elements
- Agility: Concentrating on turning and jumping skills
The awards consist of:
- Three Fundamental Area ribbons for each stage
- Six stage badges
To pass a stage skaters must achieve all Fundamental Area ribbons (Balance, Agility, and Control) from the corresponding stage. The skill requirements for each Fundamental Area are indicated on the report card.
CSA approved helmets are mandatory